Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Alewife Update 5-25-10


David Wilkins

Last nights high tide did not bring any alewives into Muscongus Brook. I was
at the high tide line with 4 elver fishermen. I watched the school approach the
mouth of the brook a few times, but there was always one guy with his light
and dip net spooking them back out. Frustrating. Perhaps other conditions
held them out.???

The alewife that came in on Sunday evenings tide continue to advance their way
towards Webber Pond. Many have ascended the fish ladder and are holding up
inside the southern culvert. I can see their fins breaking the surface in there.
I have sandbags retaining water here. Otherwise they'd wash back out. I have seen
a few in the brook above the southern culvert.

This morning I found 2 dead alewives stuck in rocks quite close to the pond at the old mill. At 4:15 pm I found a single fish holding its place behind a rock inside the north culvert. Most fish are still below the old mill. I continually pry rocks apart here for better fish passage.

Some are quite close to the pond and it is possible that a few may have already reached it. They become hard to find in such small numbers above the north RT 32 culvert.

Water temp at 4pm at the ladder was 28.1 deg C!!.(~ 82 deg F) Dissolved O2 was at 97.3% for the fish-heads in the group. No fish moving during the hottest parts of the days lately....just holding in the pools.

No comments: